Wednesday 25 January 2012

Puss in Boots: The novel (Children's, 7 years +)


November 2011, Bantam Children
142 pages, Paperback
Review copy 

Themes: famous fairy tale characters, betrayal, deception, greed, boots, fugitive, cuteness, satisfaction, a few laughs and tears

Summary from Random House Children's Books
Way before Puss ever met Shrek, our suave and furry feline hero goes on a swashbuckling ride, as he teams with mastermind Humpty Dumpty and the street-savvy Kitty to steal the famed Goose that lays the Golden Eggs. 

Includes 8 pages of colour photos.

Nayuleska's thoughts
It took half the book before I got into the story, but I loved Puss's new feline friend. I wish she'd been around in the other stories I'd read when I was little. Puss's loyalty costs him dearly, he is always a gentleman to the end. Long live Puss! This story gets 7/10 - Humpty Dumpty is seriously evil and scares me. I will not be watching the movie. 

Suggested read
For more stories with familiar fairy tale characters, check out Abie Longstaff's The Fairytale Hairdresser: Or How Rapunzel Got Her Prince. (No Humpty Dumpty!)





No comments: