Saturday 24 December 2011

Highway Robbery by Kate Thompson (Children's, 5 years +)


July 2011, Red Fox
122 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: historical, highwaymen, thieves, scoundrels, a good heart, horses, soldiers, temptation, money, some mild peril, some humour. 

'Hold the mare for me, lad. And when I come back I'll give you a gold guinea.'

It's more money than the street urchin has ever dreamt of. But who is the rider, and why is there so much interest in the big black horse? And ll the boy ever see the money he has been promised?

Nayuleska's thoughts
I love the feel of this story, the way the boy speaks is such an insight into his nature. I particularly liked the girls who interact with him, because they look exactly how I imagine them in my minds eye with gorgeous period costume. Definitely a 10/10 read. 

You can find out more about Kate on her website

Suggested read
Try one of Kate's other books, the exciting Wanted (near the end of the post)


No comments: