Tuesday 13 September 2011

Chrysalis: The Awakening by M. L. Lacy (Fantasy, 18 years +)


January 2011, kNight Romance Publishing
456 pages (my ebook copy), Ebook
Review copy

Themes: magic, vampires, werewolves, family secrets, transformation, family closeness, telekinesis, telepathy, healing, domestic violence (referred to), some tension, a bit of humour, several strong adult romance scenes, tissues need. 

Summary from kNight Romance Publishing
All families have secrets. At 32, Bree Campbell discovers her entire life has been a secret. A mortal born into a family of Magicals, she begins questioning everything and everyone around her. The prophecy told at her birth speaks of a Chosen One; the last and greatest of a long line of Chosen Ones charged with saving both the Mortal and Magical worlds. Bree must face this reality and life with her new family; a clan of vampires protecting her. The sorceress, Esmeralda, will stop at nothing until this Chosen One is dead. None could then oppose her and she would be free to rid the world of all mortals. Will Bree awaken the hidden powers and find inner strength needed to save the world. 

Nayuleska's reasons for loving Bree...she's been through some awful times in her life, which do affect her daily, but Bree's prepared to take the leap of faith and trust that everything will be ok, even when she is hurt in the same way by her family. 

Is there another character who deserves a special mention? Bree's grandmother is quite a character, being the type of grandmother I love seeing in books: caring, compassionate, has a sense of humour and is sometimes embarrassing Bree. 

How evil/nasty is the enemy? There was a moderate amount of appearances by the enemy, who is supremely powerful and plays dirty. Abuse in any shape or form is horrid. 

Are there lots of plot twists and surprises? I honestly think I was more shocked at what kept happening than Bree. I almost squealed in delight with each new revelation. 

One of my favourite parts was...it has to be the final showdown, which reminded me a little of the showdown in Violet Wings by Victoria Hanley.

This book belongs with the others which have the wow! factor. It definitely gets 10/10 even though some of the adult situations are a bit odd, they fitted the story. 

Suggested reading
I usually just stick to one recommendation but I thought of a few as I read this. 

For more stories with chosen ones, close family ties and vampires, try My Love Lies Bleeding by Alyxandra Harvey, and Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. 

For books regarding clans and hierarchy including alphas and special bonds try Raised By Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

3 comments:

Zoe said...

I NEED to read this! Thanks for the great review. :)

Unknown said...

I can't wait to get this book in paperback!

Lea Ellen {night owl in IL}

Nayuleska said...

Yes you do need to read it Zoe! everyone does :) I'm eager for book 2. When I do get it, I'll just *have* to re-read book 1 :p