Sunday 7 November 2010

Spy Glass by Maria V Snyder


September 2010, Mira 
564 pages, Paperback
Review copy 

Fantasy

Some moderate romance, adult situations which could turn nasty, fighting, plenty of suspense and drama, mother-daughter relationships, lots of tight situations, oodles of humour, tissues needed. 

Summary from Mira 

An undercover mission leads to danger, adventure and an impossible choice…

After siphoning her own blood magic, Opal Cowan has lost her powers and is now immune to the effects of magic. Now an outsider looking in, Opal spies through the glass on those with the powers she once had. 

Until spying through the glass becomes her new power. Suddenly, the beautiful pieces she makes flash in the presence of magic. And then she discovers that some of her blood has been stolen – and that finding it may help her regain her powers for good… 

This is the thrilling third and final part of the Glass series. 


Nayuleska's thoughts
This is the third book in the series evolving around Opal, and I can safely say the danger and drama that she endures is three times more daunting (and dangerous) than when we first met her in Yelena's life. She feels so empty without her magic ability, which people don't understand. She also shuts people out a bit. I understand why she does this, but she is a bit dense and should tell people more about her life. I related to her so easily for all that she suffers. She hates feeling useless, not being able to help as she once did. She feels a bit smothered at home - at least until she annoys her mother, who is a real force to be reckoned with. Put her mother against her enemies, and I think her mother would win through sheer stubbornness. Although her mother doesn't have the power her enemies have. I thought that what Yelena suffered was awful, and Opal's suffering in books 1-2 (and in Yelena's study series) was dire. This book tops them all for suffering. I was so frightened for Opal. It was so bad that I was tempted to peek at the end. Thankfully friends on Twitter convinced me not to. I'm glad I didn't because the ending was a huge surprise. I was a little annoyed that Opal was still undecided who she loved best. And yes I was disappointed with the end on that front - but I understand why she chose who she did. I nearly wept for joy when Opal has a connection with magic again - it does happen a lot later on though. For this reason, and the people who enter Opal's life,  I'm hoping there will be more stories involving Opal. 

I adored the way characters from Yelena's life play a part in Opal's - although I didn't know what would happen next it was like returning home in this book. I love Valek, Janco, Ari - it was great to see him still play an important role in the story. Yes, Yelena plays a part too. I perhaps would have liked to see more of the other magicians, and perhaps expected more to happen with the magician's council, but apart from that this book was stunning, surprising, and a wonderful read. I look forward to re-reading it already. 

Final conclusion 
If I had to choose between Opal and Yelena, I think at the moment I would choose Opal, because from the first moment I met her she didn't have many offensive skills yet by the end of this proves her mettle. Yelena had some skills when I first met her, and becomes deadly. Opal is definitely younger than Yelena, and occasionally takes less risks because she can't fight as well (due to her lack of magic). She makes some decisions which I feel are mistakes. Yet she shares a lot in common with Yelena. Oh, one last thing, I loved the way the book ended: how the situation that we first meet Opal in happens again on a more frightening scale. 

Definitely be sure to check out book one in Opal's story, Storm Glass, and book two, Sea Glass. I love the covers to this series! And check out the study series: Poison Study, Magic Study, Fire Study where we first meet Opal and learn all about Yelena. 

No comments: