Thursday 14 October 2010

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella by Stephenie Meyer


June 2010, Atom 
192 pages, Hardback
Copy received as part of a book tour with UK Book Tours

Young Adult, Paranormal 

Blood (obviously), moderate violence, fear, tissues (even if you have read Twilight saga you'll need them)

Summary from Little, Brown 
In another irresistible combination of danger, mystery and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of Bree and the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.

Nayuleska's thoughts
With the imminent arrival of this book, I spent two days reading the entire Twilight Saga. 'You need to read them first' said my Meme Controller. She was right. I did. I'm glad I did, because it made me think about Bree before this book. It had me wondering what her life was like as a vampire. This book tells you what it was like to be a bad vampire. How she lived in fear all the time. How she couldn't really make friends with anyone. And yet, she did make a friend or two, without even realising it. Her actions and thoughts affected everyone's life. Not everything was her fault. Nor was she guiltless. Her life gave me a greater insight into Bella and Edward's world, and made me want to re-read the series (keeping these points in mind). It also made me think about vampires in any story, the ones which aren't written about in depth. 

Final Conclusion
Unless you're a special vampire, in novels your life ends like Bree's does. However, it shows the other side of the fang.  

Definitely check out the Twilight Saga after reading this, which starts with... Twilight

1 comment:

Gina said...

See? Aren't you glad you read the series first? Oh wait, you said that in the post...hehe. Glad you enjoyed it in the end...and love the summary line "shows the other side of the fang"....good point! (Get it...point....fang...LOL!) ^_^ Happy reading....