Sunday 5 July 2009

The Spook's Mistake, by Joseph Delaney


2009, Red Fox 
462 pages
Childrens' fantasy
Review Copy

Cushions: 3/5
Daggers: 3/5
Overall rating: 5/5

On the back it says 'Warning: not to be read after dark'. This is fairly true, more so with the addition: Warning: not to be read during or shortly after a meal. Unless you have a strong stomach. 

After the first glance, I had to ignore the front cover. Black dogs are one of several things I'm quite afraid of. Black dogs with red eyes and sharp teeth have me keeping this book face down at all times. The silhouette's beneath each chapter title capture the chapter's theme: I look forward to trying to remember what happens in each one by the picture alone when I get round to rereading  this book. 

I haven't read any of the other books in this Wardstone Chronicles series. I used to hate reading books out of sequence, and where possible try to avoid it. However, I didn't feel as though I couldn't follow the story. There were little recaps of what had happened previously to Tom throughout the story, which was enough for me to understand the events as they occurred. 

Initially I automatically thought of a spy, rather than a person who literally fights evil and has an apprentice, Tom, to train as a successor. There exists numerous types of evil. For me the most surprising evil being in this book (there are many) were the witches. Yes, we all think of pointy hats, cats and cauldrons. But Joseph Delaney's witch creations had me captivated. Who'd've thought they could be imprisoned in a cage sunk in the earth so they can neither get out, nor can their friends come to their aid. 

In this installment Tom gets sent away from his master to another Spook, who I personally thought was a little crazed in the head. Tom's master wasn't far wrong when he said that Bill was tougher than he was. Rest and relaxation isn't in his vocabulary. Tom does try to escape, but the two guard dogs soon end that plan. That and the narrowly avoiding death by a famous witch encourages him to stay in Bill's house. The mill itself isn't the sanctuary a home should be - at least not for Tom. Beings of the dark live there, and for part of the novel this mystery is kept hidden in Bill's heart. Alongside this Tom tries to keep in contact with Alice, who lives with his other master Spook. Alice was raised as a witch, yet somehow the Spook keeps her on. He doesn't like it when she uses black magic, something that she dabbles in, for the sake of keeping Tom safe. For they have strong feelings towards each other, and don't like being separated.

Another central story plot is that of the Fiend, the most evil of beings which naturally wants to eliminate all Spooks, and their apprentice. There's quite a revelation about some of the Fiend's followers at the end of this book, one which had me gasping out loud in surprise. 

The story heats up even further when tragedy strikes for Bill. Even with the help from his original (and technically still current) master and Alice, Tom struggles to defeat the witch who tried to kill him. Little does he know that this witch is hiding a secret. 

Tom's adventure had me frantically turning each page over. Yes, the descriptions are rather grisly and my stomach turned but I was drawn into Tom's journey. It isn't happy one - no clouds or fluffy bunnies in this book. I'd say its definitely aimed at boys, however, me, the reviewer who generally prefers a female protagonist, really felt sorry for Tom and cheered him on as he gradually developed a stronger body, and a stronger heart. The story takes more twists than a rollercoaster ride (not that I've ever been on one, or intend to). One pleasant aspect was that Tom isn't an orphan - his mother is alive, battling evil abroad. The book is set in our world, using the same countries and place names, which will appeal to all readers, but especially those who recognise the areas in England.

Book 6 will be reviewed tomorrow. 


Joseph's Delaney's interactive website is here

2 comments:

Danyelle L. said...

The cover makes me want to know more about the story, but...am a wimp with a weak stomach!

Nayuleska said...

Give it a go...you an always put it down if you don't like it :)