Tuesday 9 June 2009

Life as a book reviewer, by myself

Please don't panic - this is just a different post to my usual book reviews. I'm not published (yet!). With this blog at just over a month old, I figured it was time for reflection on life as a book reviewer. 

Short version: it's awesome! 

Long version: Honestly, it is awesome to be a book reviewer. Before I started my blog, I was the one looking at other book reviews (take a look at the ones to the right) and thinking 'Wow. What lucky people to write their opinions on books. To (sometimes) receive books ahead of publication date. To interview authors (who I knew were real people, not people sitting on very high stools writing their wips on computers).' And now I'm one of those. 

There is no doubt that it's hard work. Reading books are still pleasurable. The more I read, the more I enjoy them. When I'm reading I try harder to remember what's going on. My memory is known to be lousy. So much so that even writing things down on a to do list I forget to complete some of them. I'd like to hope my memory has improved - I remember what each story is about, the characters in them, the ending, and with a little flicking through for a reminder what happens in the middle. 

As I read a book, both consciously and subconsciously I think 'Why do I like this?' Why am I attached to the characters? What is the style of writing like? Pacing? Are there lots of twists in the plot? Is it a new genre/sub-genre I haven't read before? What gives the book some zing? 

The writer in me also thinks 'I hope I can write as well as this'! 

I actually take notice of the cover. I did before this blog, but not as much as I do now. Does it catch my eye? Does it match the tone of the story inside? All of the time my answer is generally yes. If you find me spending 1 paragraph about the cover and illustrations inside the book, its because it has that extra zing and I have the freedom to yabber on about it. 

Invariably I then look at the author's details, whether any more books are due out. Now, if I'm able and can think of questions, I'm asking for author interviews. This is a challenging type of fun. I don't want to ask questions that have been asked before. I try and read the author's webpages, to see if my answers are then. Reading the material/blogs sparks off ideas for questions. I send off the questions, and sit back and wait. 

I won't say which author's I'm hoping to interview - I'll just post the interviews up as I receive them. That way I can surprise you all. They will all be authors whose books I've reviewed. No, I'm not necessarily requesting a review for every single one. It doesn't mean I don't love the book. I love all the books I review. It's just a question of time, and figuring out what are hopefully intelligent questions.

All of that takes time. I try and read before work, and after work. That's with fitting in actual reviews, blog time, writing time (highly important) and downtime. I now always carry a book in my handbag. I carry a book around the house with me so if I have to wait for a saucepan to boil for 10 minutes, I can slip in 10 minutes of reading. Or if I'm waiting to help with the dishes, again I'll read. It all counts. 

My books come from: 

My lovely local libraries. The renewal button looks a little worn. 

My own personal bookshelf: yes, these books will take the longest to read. 

Publishers: for now, just Penguin. Maybe once I've cut down on my library book intake I'll scoot around other publishers. Or people will decide to send me review copies. I'm eternally greatful for these. My parents might not be, with the rapid decline of space in my room. But I'm one happy reviewer. 

That's all I can think of for now - this book reviewer needs food! 

2 comments:

Danyelle L. said...

*hopes you get lots and lots of food in the future*

*rereads*

*realizes that you could be talking about food-food, and not book-food*

Very good information here. I would never have thought there could be so much. :D

Nayuleska said...

Thank you! Yup, food-food.

This could be my first 'informative' post on my review blog...possibly.