Thursday 21 May 2009

Fairy Secrets, by Gwyneth Rees



2008, Macmillan Childrens books
206 pages
Childrens: for girls!

I'm branching out even further in my reviews. There's a reason I love childrens books. Some, not all, are like this one and have suitable content. No boyfriends (not even a whiff of them). It has me very happy and if I ever have girls, I'll buy these books for them.

You know that piece of chocolate that went missing? You're convinced there was over half a bar left but now there's only a third? Well, its not mice. It's not your children/siblings/spouse. It's fairies. Fairies love chocolate.

Thankfully in the little Welsh village the owner of the shop, Mr Owen, believes in fairies. He doesn't think someone is shoplifting chocolate. He's happy for them to take it. In return, they leave him gifts. One of which he gives to Ellie, staying with her aunt (and unfortunately her brother) while their parents are on holiday.

The story follows the tale of Ellie as she meets two fairies, Myfanwy and Bronwen, and sets about saving the entry to fairyland. It lies in a toy museum, whose owner needs to sell it. There's more to this story than just saving fairy land. A lot more.

For starters, there are the cute illustrations: stars at the bottom of the pages, a fairy in each corner at the top. There are illustrations in most chapters too. They add to the whole picture painted by the story (sometimes I wish other books had more pictures). My personal favourite was the one where Myfanwy and Bronwen are flying while balancing chocolate buttons on their heads :) Chocoholics those two.

Plus, its a tale of how Ellie overcomes her shyness. At the beginning of the book, she is painfully shy, but circumstances make her find her voice and overcome her embarrassment at speaking to strangers. The fairies have a big hand in this. But its also a case of if Ellie doesn't say something, then no-one will. Her aunt refuses to do the talking for her (sensible lady).

Okay, if I'm analysing this book as an example for my future children to read, I'm not so fond of how many lies/deceptions Ellie does. However, she knows her actions are wrong, and does make amends for them.

I like this book so much that I'm going to check out the rest at my library - not just the fairy books either!

Cuteness factor: 5 clouds
Overall rating: 5/5

Check out more fairy stories on Gwyneth Rees' site

2 comments:

Danyelle L. said...

Sounds like a cute book!

Nayuleska said...

It is! So much so that I had to stop myself buying the set of 4 :) And the books about the magical cat look fun too (unless I misread the blurb as I scanned the list of books).