Monday 11 March 2019

The Age of Misadventure by Judy Leigh (Contemporary fiction, 10E/10E)

It's not a relaxing tale...
 February 2019, Avon, 400 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Summary from HarperCollins
You’re never too old to live dangerously… 

The gloriously funny new novel from the author of A Grand Old Time.

All Georgie Turner wants is to keep her family together. But with her daughter growing up fast, her sister married to a man Georgie hates, and their aging aunt getting more and more outrageous, nothing’s simple.

So when her brother-in-law makes his biggest mistake yet, Georgie sees the chance to reunite the ladies in her life. And after a little persuasion, three generations of Turner women head off on a very unusual road trip. Georgie’s confident that some sun, sea and a bottle or two of prosecco will make this an adventure they’ll never forget.

What could possibly go wrong?


Nayu's thoughts
I picked this out for review because it sounded a laugh - it certainly was that, and so much more. There's thrills, laughs, tears (yes from me in the odd place), fear, tension, and loads of other emotions that I fear will be a repeat of the ones I've already mentioned. I felt sorry for Bonnie because she didn't know what her husband was really like, although she was under his spell quite a bit which caused Georgie no end of frustration. I'd hoped that side of the story would provide me with tense moments, what I got was absolutely wonderful! 

I loved that even during the most fearful of moments, humour was never far away, especially where it concerned Georgie's aunt who is in a league of her own. Georgie is a bit on the live dangerously/disobey orders that could save her life kind of girl, not that I could blame her because the situation was insane, but I did want to hit her over the head a few times because of her stupidity. If you are told to stay hidden you stay hidden! Initially I thought the road trip was for fun rather than the dangerous turn that it took, but there was plenty of laughs to be had in all the danger that rained down on Georgie and her family. 

Her daughter helped Georgie a lot, although in places I thought could be a bit more thankful for what Georgie did, and that Georgie was only trying to keep her safe, but equally I thought Georgie needed to let her daughter do her own thing, even if she thought it wasn't a good idea for her. I lo

I wish so much there will be another book about this family, because their dynamic is pure joy to read, and I didn't want the book to end. Highly recommend it, but make sure you have a few hours free to read it in one sitting so you can find out what happens at the end!  

Find out more on Julie's website.

Suggested read 
For another family themed read check out the antics of two sisters in It Started With A Tweet by Anna Bell (Romance, Contemporary, NetGalley, 10E/10E) 

No comments: