Sunday 10 March 2019

I am NOT Adorable! by Julie Hearn (Children's, 7 years +, 10/10E)

Oh yes you are!
 November 218, 158 pages, Ebook, Review copy
 
Book summary
 Jimmy is as smart as paint, with a heart as big as a dinner dish. Everybody says he is going to be the best guide dog ever.Jimmy isn’t so sure. It doesn’t help that Lottie, the puppy walker, is a big, loud lady whose love life is off the leash or that the cat next door is a bully. The first chance Jimmy gets, he is going to run away.

Nayu's thoughts
Although I'm more a cat kind of girl than dog loving girl, Jimmy sounded quite the mischief maker, which is always fun to read. The cover has him looking very adorable! I've read a lot of books about puppies where the main point of view is from the humans involved, so it is refreshing to have everything from Jimmy's view. 

He has some traits which are common in youth: not wanting to work too hard, being cautious of anything new, wanting to prove himself, and so on. His stubbornness was amusing and definitely altered his path in the story. Because he was so adamant against being a service dog, I eagerly awaited reading what would make him change his mind. I won't spoil it for you, but he does get there eventually and it is because he struggled with who he should become and what he wanted, he will make a fine guide dog. 

Jimmy makes a few friends who I wish could have whole books about them, as I'm sure they could have had similar experiences to Jimmy, which is why they impart their wisdom on him when they can. Lottie was a very mean spirited cat, who I didn't like but eventually she does the right thing. I did have to laugh at her amusing antics because one trick was clever with hilarious consequences. I may not be a dog, but I can appreciate Jimmy's sentiments and think of times when I too didn't want to do what I was doing, but kind of had to because that's life. 

Suggested read
I've reviewed quite a few puppy themed books and think you will like The Pocket Dog by Holly Webb and Sharon Renta (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: