Thursday 26 October 2017

Toad Has Talent by Richard Smythe (Children's, Picture book, 9/10E)

  September 2017, Frances Lincoln Children's Books, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copy

Summary from Quarto
 Every year when Moonlight Pond freezes over, a talent contest takes place deep in the woods. Ducks dance, mice perform… But there is one animal that never competes. Toad watches the talent show from behind his rock, careful to keep himself hidden. Because Toad doesn't have a special talent--or so he thinks! When Toad is finally discovered, he slips on the icy pond and realises he does have an incredible talent..

Nayu's thoughts
While I don't watch talent shows, I'm all for everyone finding their talent(s), as even those like toad who think they are no good have a skill they can discover, develop, and enjoy. I loved the variety of performances, with the duck (or chicken? Can't quite remember) being my favourite because the little ducks (or chicks) were super cute. 

That was much needed because the snake, a creature I really don't like had 2 whole pages for activity! I gingerly glanced at the page and quickly turned it over, because seeing so many snakes (same snake doing different things) gave me the heebie geebies. That aside I like the passion all the animals have - even toad when he was winging it! I like that someone noticed he hadn't performed, and he found his skill literally by accident. 

I'd love more books about toad and his friends because it seems like they've plenty of stories  tell! Minus the snake the illustrations are fun and the story is exciting, and those who watch talent shows will recognise a familiar style to the story. Do you know your talents? 

Find out more on Richard's website

Suggested read


No comments: