Sunday 17 December 2023

Book review: Molly and the Shipwreck by Malachy Doyle and Andrew Whitson (Children's, 5 years +, Picture book, 10E/10E)

 

October 2021,  Graffeg, 36 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Graffeg

 Molly and her dad rescue three people in trouble from a small boat off the coast. Though they speak different languages, the new arrivals quickly make friends with the islanders, who offer them somewhere to stay and some clothes and food. Just a few weeks later, a new challenge threatens this relationship, but will Molly and the islanders be able to help their new friends?

Nayu's thoughts

I try not to read about real world issues because honestly the reality is so depressing and I mentally can't cope with it. I thought a shipwreck sounded exciting. What I ended up reading was an uplifting tale about the happy ever after boat refugees who end up on a small island where a helpful community exists. Molly needs more people for her school or it will close, little does she know more pupils appear from an unexpected quarter, the sea. 

The close-knit feel of island life is evident. There is definitely 'the main land is slightly evil' feel when immigration turn up to take away the new residents, but that is not the end of the tale, thankfully. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous and made each image feel alive. I love the slightly muted colours which fit islands I've seen on TV. This book touched my heart, it's beautiful and filled with hope for a better future, which we do all want. I may not willingly read current affairs books, but I'm really glad this one popped into my life. 

Find out more on Malachy's website 

Suggested read

Check out some of Malachy's other books including One Hundred and One Daffodils by Malachy Doyle and Denise Hughes (Children's, 5 years +, 10E/10E)


and The Jaws of Death by Malachy Doyle



No comments: