Tuesday 12 December 2023

Book review: Daughter of Winter and Twilight by Helen Corcoran (Young Adult, Fantasy, 9/10E)


  September 2023, The O'Brien Press, 576 pages, Paperback, Review Copy

Book summary from The O'Brien Press

Sequel to Queen of Coin and Whispers

Emri – the adopted heir and daughter of two queens – and her estranged cousin, Melisande, are attacked by a magical force and spirited away. Can they put their differences aside and survive the trials of a goddess they always considered a myth: Lady Winter?

Nayu's thoughts

Unlike many I haven't yet the first book in this series, Queen of Coin and Whispers, but truly it didn't matter that I didn't know all the back story. Background to Emri is given freely and I will read the first book because I'm so intrigued by what happens. This reminds me a bit of the Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey in the layers of intrigue and fantasy that are woven in the tale. I have to admit some of the non-main character narration chapters were a little dull, but that is a personal thing as I wanted to know what happened next as there were a lot of chapter cliff hangers. I know the filler chapters were important to, I was simply impatient and I really hate cliff hangers! Be warned there are a lot. 

Life Emri starts in the court of her two mothers, her being a princess having to deal with pomp and ceremony, her over-indulging in alcohol, and then having to play nice with her cousin when she visits for a festival. What happens to them is scary and dark. Lady Winter is not a friendly goddess, not at all. She means business and she isn't afraid to put Emri and her comrades (more join her and Melisande) on their quest. If they fail the quest conditions, which are quite specific, death would be better than what awaits them. 

Emri and her friends suffer a lot. I don't mean they are deprived food and shelter, which does happen. Emotionally they have to overcome seeing visions of their past, which in front of an audience paints them in a bad light. I love how gritty the journey is, they suffer a ridiculous amount but there is a lot of personal growth for all of them. They don't all become instant friends as a result, that's what makes it so real. And sometimes that real-ness gets a bit too dark which is why it's not 100% my most favourite book. I like that what happens at the end has me eager for the next book (there must be one) and I already know I will reread this after I eventually get book one. I have to say that Melisande is my favourite character, Emri is great but Meli nailed it in likability.. I'd love a book focused on her next please! 

Make sure you check out Helen's website

Suggested read

 The Mage Storms Omnibus by Mercedes Lackey (Fantasy, 10E/10E)



No comments: