Wednesday 30 August 2017

The Valentine's Day Kitten by Cathy Hopkins (Children's, 7 years +, Dyslexia Friendly, 10E/10E)


July 2017, Barrington Stoke, 72 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Barrington Stoke
When Marcie’s little silver kitten Misty goes missing, her best friend Ellie leaps into action and Operation Find Misty is born! But Ellie’s detective skills are put to the test when it seems a mysterious boy might lead the pair to the missing kitten.

Nayu's thoughts 
 I usually don't review books with a Valentine's Day theme as I'm not fond of the holiday, but this ome is about a cute cat which I simply have to share with you! As a cat lover I fell in love with Misty straight away and felt heartbroken that she got lost (having had a stray cat be returned to it's owner and a rescue cat of my own (and my family)) and think I was as upset about the matter as Marcie, although I suspected it would be a happy ending (it is). 

I love Marcie's best friend's exhuberance for life and getting what she wants eventually. Marcie needs her bouncy personality while they try to find such a special cat. How she gets found is realistic...it is known for dreams to actually come true in some cases, so it's not as fictional as you may think. At university I always dreamt of the fire alarm going off a few minutes before it did go off (my halls of residence had an unfortunate amount of traipsing out in pjs) something that made my friends want my bizarre internal wake up call! 

I loved the way Misty disappeared and how she was found, as well as the temporary owner having a bit of attitude! As usual Barrington Stoke's books truly are easy to read with the off white pages and good word spacing, perfect for reading entertaining tales. 

Find out more on Cathy's website.

Suggested read


No comments: