Thursday 17 August 2017

The Chalk Rainbow by Deborah Kelly and Gwynneth Jones (Children's, Picture book, 8/10E)

 July 2017, EK Books, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copy   
 
Summary from EK Books
The Chalk Rainbow explores difference and diversity through a family living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). It’s also a story of unconditional love, of trust and of learning to look at the world through the eyes of others.

Nayu's thoughts
This was an unrequested read but I picked it up because I like rainbows and as you can tell from the cover ts a colourful read. I figured Zane was an the autistic spectrum before reading the press release sheet, just because of the story summary. I liked how in so few words his different way of viewing the world is explained by his sister. She finds drawing rainbows soothes him, which is realistic because everyone has something that calms them, and Zane needs calming a lot of the time.. 

The reason it got a lower grade is because once the rainbows started being drawn I got confused. I wasn't sure if the rest of the rainbows were literal or figurative, whether they were meant to depict something, or were just rainbows. I'm quite sure most people will see them as rainbows and not be confused by them. There were several sheets of blank paper in my review copy, which I half thought may be for drawing rainbows on, but maybe they were there by accident. I'm sure readers will have creating their own rainbows to brighten their world! 

Find out more on Deborah's website. 

Suggested read

1 comment:

DMS said...

I love rainbows as well- so the cover caught my eye. Sounds like an interesting book and I am curious about the blank pages. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)
~Jess