Friday 3 March 2017

I Don't Want Curly Hair by Laura Ellen Anderson (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

 February 2017, Bloomsbury Children's, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Bloomsbury 
NO! I do not want this BIG CURLY HAIR!
It's messy and silly and just plain unfair.

All Curly Haired Girl has ever wanted is straight and luscious locks, but when she meets a little girl with the smoothest, silkiest hair, who says all she's ever wanted is spirally, squiggly hair, they are BOTH confused!

 
Nayu's thoughts  
This tale totally brightened my evening with the hilarious melodrama that the girl endures because of her hair. I'm certain most readers have dreamed of having different hair-watching anime where there are insanely long styles with exotic flowers I easily related to the girl. She is inventive about the methods she tries to get her hair straight-all involve a level of discomfort and none work. The expression in the girl's posture fits the mood of ecah scene. 

I love the colourful illustrations, with the totally out of control hair. When the twist in the tale happened I smiled as it's true friends can have the hair we want, and there really is a common ground to be found - I'm not saying what, you'll have to read this uplifting in more ways than one tale! 

Find out more on Laura's website.

Suggested read
Another heartwarming powerful read about friendship is Be A Friend by Salina Yoon (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

No comments: