Monday 27 February 2017

The Stone of Kuromori by Jason Rohan (Young Adult, 10E/10E)

I don't like the new stye covers - they don't show Kiyomi clearly!!!! (Old style are in the suggested reads part of the review)
 January 2017, Egmont, 320 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: major peril, violence, monsters 

Summary from Egmont
Three treasures. Two friends. One destiny.

Ever since Kenny learned that he’d been chosen as bearer of a magical sword, he and best friend Kiyomi have been protecting the human world from ancient Japanese monsters. But Kiyomi’s human soul has been taken from her and only the restoration of the three sacred treasures – the sword, the mirror and the jewel – can save her from transforming into a monster herself.

Yet as they complete their mission, they discover that all their actions have been manipulated and an undead army is about to be unleashed upon humankind. The forces of life, with Kenny as their champion, gather their allies for a final showdown.


Nayu's thoughts
The final book in this trilogy has come and it's the best yet. Ken uses the abilities he has gained to fight for world peace. What makes him special is his continuing strength to create new skills during battle which enables him to get out of tricky situations. He really screws up in this book, more than he ever has before, but only by doing this can he have a hope of saving the day. 

The real heroine of the story is Kiyomi. I adore her love of making things go boom. The fact that she is Japanese adds to her appeal. Even with the constant threat of turning into a demon she is able to compliment Ken's skills with her own. I cried when she cried in the story during an unexpected encounter that hurt more than semi-significant characters dying. Kiyomi sort of has Poyo, and she ends up with a cool dangerous killer as a companion, one who I for some reason like in real life. I love how Kiyomi has the right knowledge to help Ken's weird intelligence figure out what to do. I loved it when she revealed who Otohime is to Jason, and delighted in a brief encounter that she will treasure forever. 

I also really like Stacie who reappeared at the end just when I was thinking of her. She had her own secret which ultimately helps Ken in his mission. I'm so glad that Jason persuaded me to give this series a go, promising me I'd like Kiyomi. I truly do! And I can dream she gets her own series, although she and Ken seem more like partners rather than hero and sidekick in this instalment. I doubt it's the end of their adventures though, and hope for a revival of their lives someday! 

Suggested read
Be sure to check out the rest of the trilogy which starts with The Sword of Kuromori by Jason Rohan (Young Adult, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)


No comments: