Saturday 25 February 2017

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, narrated by Rachel McAdams (Audiobook, Classical Literature, 10/10E)


November 2016, Audible Studios, 9 hours 22 minutes, Audiobook, Review copy from Audible 

Summary from Audible
When aging brother and sister Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert decide to adopt an orphan boy to help with chores around their farm, Green Gables on Prince Edward Island, neither is prepared for the feisty and imaginative redheaded girl who is mistakenly brought to them instead. Nor are they prepared for the way in which she will change their lives. Through a series of hilarious misadventures, Anne's uncompromising spirit makes her a striking presence in the close-knit village, bringing new friendships, first crushes, and, for her foster parents, a love and openness unimaginable before her arrival. 

Nayu's thoughts
I finally read this hilarious and heartwarming classic tale! It's incredible to think this was written in 1908, over 100 years ago, and yet it totally touched my heart. I'm generally not into classical literature. I've tried to like the books I had to read at school, but mostly I didn't. I love the Little Women series, the Laura Ingalls series (Little House on the Prairie), A Little Princess, Heidi, and The Railway Children, but that's it. I can firmly add Anne of Green Gables to that list! 

I couldn't believe how hilarious Anne was. The narrator's voice reminded me of Anna in Frozen, as did how much Anne could talk and her fanciful thinking. Her melodrama did remind me of Amy in Little Women, but overall Anne is a unique character who I gave up anime time just to listen to her exploits. I liked her that much. She is constantly talking, adding drama to non-dramatic events which does drive her adopted parents a little mad, but while her adopted mother slash Aunt rarely shows her amusement, Anne's mannerisms bring lots of love and light to her new home. 

I knew that Anne was firm friends with Diana before I read the book, which made me curious as to how the two became best friends when an incident split the two up and I couldn't see how they would get back together. You know the times in life where accidents happen which aren't the person involved's fault, yet they get the blame? Those happen to Anne a lot, and were highly amusing to hear about. Anne's love of melodrama does mean her sincerity is sometimes not seen by those she is apologising to, at least not the first time round. Life is never dull with Anne. 

I have to say I preferred the earlier parts of the book when Anne was still a child and getting into an insane amount of scrapes: the later part of the book got a bit more serious, and there was less mischief which I heartily missed. You'll need tissues, that's all I'll say about it, and Anne has to grow up fast. She was 16 or so by the end, so in our day still a teen but back then 16 was classed as an adult which is why Anne has to make a few personal sacrifices when life circumstances change. 

I don't yet know if the sequel is in audiobook form (I haven't looked), and because of how I viewed the end of the book it wouldn't get to the top of my wishlist anytime soon, but I do hope to find out what happens next to Anne. I have a suspicion over who she may marry (if she marries), and would like to see if I'm right. I fully recommend giving Anne's tale a go – I promise you won't regret it if you like humour and adventure!

Suggested read
I've reviewed one of the other classic children's reads I mentioned in this review so check out Alma Children's Classics: The Railway Children by E. Nesbit and Peter Bailey (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

No comments: