Wednesday 23 November 2016

Bone by Bone by Sanjida Jay, Narrator Gillian Burke (Thriller, Audiobook, 8/10E unfinished, short 'n' sweet review)

 October 2016, Audible Studios, 9 hours & 7 minutes, Audiobook, Review copy from Audible

Summary from Audible 
Laura loves her daughter more than anything in the world. But nine-year-old Autumn is being bullied. Laura feels helpless. When Autumn fails to return home from school one day, Laura goes looking for her. She finds a crowd of older children taunting her little girl.

In the heat of the moment, Laura makes a terrible choice. A choice that will have devastating consequences for her and her daughter.

Nayu's thoughts
I was really excited about this book because I love stories that focus on a mother taking care of her child. Autumn getting bullied had me certain there would be tough times ahead, and it would be really interesting. Unfortunately I didn't get past the first chapter. The prologue ruined the entire story for me. I can't say what happens because that would be a big spoiler. Let's just say that what happens made me disinterested in reading the rest of the book. 

I know some readers would want to find out how the prologue happened, and part of me was curious but knowing what happens by the end of the story before I've even begun is a real turn off. I honestly tried to get past chapter 1, as the writing is good and I was on the edge of my seat, but I forever had the prologue in my head which dramatically reduced my interest in the story. I guess I'd recommend it to read but maybe skip the prologue until the end, which I realise defeats the point that Sanjida was making for the story, but it's not a formula that works for me. The narration was great though!

No comments: