Thursday 15 September 2016

The Curious Kitten by Holly Webb (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E)

August 2016, Stripes Publishing, 128 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Little Tiger Press
Amber’s parents are having building work done and her kitten is very curious about all the new people coming and going. Then the little cat climbs into one of the builders’ vans and its owner drives off without noticing. The kitten escapes to find herself in a strange new place. Will she ever find her way home to Amber? 

Nayu's thoughts 
You will need tissues for this stray kitten read! I cried so much, having dealt with the emotional side of looking after a stray cat. I guessed what would happen to the kitten whose name I've forgotten, but I underestimate the intensity and volume of emotion because of what I've experienced this year. I was as devastated as Amber, maybe more so as I thought of all the people who lose their cats and have to spend too many days hopig for them to return. 

Holly's mum does her best, but nothing brings comfort when a pet isn't where it should be. I liked who eventually ended up with the kitten, and how new characters seen at the start of the book played a huge role at the end. I was bawling at the end because the reunion was so wonderful, more so for having seen it happen in real life. This is possibly Holly's best cat story to date! It's a must for my reread pile, especially with the illustrations adding extra emotion. 

Find out more about the fabulous Holly on her website (if you couldn't already guess I'm a huge fangirl!)  

Suggested read



No comments: