Tuesday 24 November 2015

What are YOU reading? #294





What are you reading on Monday? is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journeys where you post books completed last week and plans for upcoming books. Jump over to her blog and see who else is participating.




Read:


Saving Laurel Springs by Lin Stepp
Romance, Contemporary
10E/10E
(A stubborn heroine is reluctant to have help from a childhood sweetheart when strange goings on are happening to her family's holiday business...) 





Reading the Sweet Oak by Jan Stites
Romance, Contemporary
10/10E
(Family drama, friendship and rallying round to help others is the centre of this story...)









Listened



Summertime and Somersaults plus Friendships and Backflips by Jane Lawes
Children's, 9 years +
REREADS - 10E/10E for both
(A sweet tale about friendship as a girl pursues gymnastics with admirable passion. I've finished S&S, not quite finished F&B.)





A Place To Call Home by Carole Matthews
 Romance, Contemporary
REREAD - FINISHED - 10E/10E
(The ending makes me cry every time I listen to it!)






Princess Diaries #2 Princess in the Spotlight by Meg Cabot
Young Adult
REREAD - 10/10E
(Ah Mia, how I love the drama you have to cope with – especially your grandmothers both scheming over your mother's wedding – thankfully I remember how it ends!)











Watched



Winx:  Season 7
Magical Girl anime, English and Italian version
 10E/10E
(I can't seem to find the last few episodes, which is annoying, but it's a brilliant series and I hope it comes out on DVD next year!)







Aikatsu
Music Idol anime, Japanese version
10E/10E
(Seen a new to me ep which took place in space and featured Ichigo, Aoi, and Ran helping Akari saving the world from losing dresses in exchange for boring tracksuits.)






Winx: Season 4
Magical Girl anime, French version
10E/10E
(Roxy encounters the white circle which isn't the most pleasant experience, what with an unseen fairy taking over her body for a while: thankfully Bloom & the rest of the Winx save her!)





Noir
Assassin anime, Japanese version
REWATCH - 10E/10E
(I've been thinking about this anime for a while, and since I wasn't feeling great I watched the English version which is ok, but really annoyed me for crowd scenes kept the Japanese background voices!)







Madlax
Assassin anime, Japanese version
10E/10E
(This is from the same maker of Noir, about 2 assassins although it's early on so only 1 is an assassin. It's awesome! Similar in theme to Noir, yet manages to be totally different too!)






Kaleido Star:  Season 1 & 2
Comedy/Drama anime, English version
10E/10E
(I can't praise this gymnastics themed anime enough. I watched it in English as I wasn't feeling well so couldn't cope with subtitles, and minus Ken's voice which annoys me a smidge the dub is very good. There's a lot of self-doubt and personal battles, which make watching Sora grow as a person absolutely wonderful!)






Canaan
Assassin anime, Japanese version
10/10E
(I've seen the first episode which is gory but entirely engaging and I'm sad there's only 13 episodes in the series, as Canaan, an assassin with silver hair goes about her business running into old friends who look as though they will feature a lot in the short series.)







Cuffs
Police drama, English version
9/10E
 (Caught up with episodes 3 & 4 now, there's certainly a lot of action and banter, although wider story arcs are coming into play)







Kilari
Music Idol anime, French version
10E/10E
(I can count on Kilari to make me smile – she gets so excited about everything, sometimes a bit overenthusiastic but manages to get to grips with whatever her new career as a singer, model, and actress throws at her with her cute cat Nasan...)










Craft, baking and more
Craft wise I can finally reveal the secret projects I've been working on: this tablecloth with cross stitch strawberries....





..and a pair of silk fingerless gloves....both are presents for a family member. They've been great fun to make!



I restarted a pair of baby booties – have nearly completed the first boot!




That's it on the craft side: I have been busy in the kitchen. I made these soft centred almost fudge-like chocolate chip cookies...




...which are very moreish. I'll be making them again...





I made a range of chocolate truffles for the birthday celebration: I've got white chocolate bunnies (non-truffle), milk chocolate stars (non-truffle) both from molds, then mint milk chocolate, milk chocolate, and white chocolate truffles...



I also made some simple but delicious cookies...and Oh and I can't forget this blackberry baked cheesecake ...



It's been a busy and productive week!



No comments: