Saturday 7 November 2015

The Mixed-Up Summer of Lily McLean by Lindsay Littleson (Children's, 9 years +, 10/10E)

A summery cover for a summer read to be read at any time of year!
April 2015, Floris Books, 192 pages, Ebook, Review copy from NetGalley 

Content: mysteries, a few scary parts, lots of humour 

Summary from Floris Books
Lily's already got plenty going on living with a moody teenage sister, two feral brothers and a messy baby sister. Mum and Gran are stressed to the max, both dads are out of the picture and the cats aren't exactly pulling their weight. But when she starts getting mixed-up warnings not to go on holiday to the tiny, safe Scottish island of Millport, her summer just gets weirder and weirder.

The thing is, whoever's talking to Lily doesn't even seem to know she's doing it. If she's a ghost, she's not a very good one. And there's something about her that Lily finds awfully, spine-tinglingly familiar. . . 


Nayu's thoughts
An engaging fun read involving the future and present in a way which isn't as creepy as it sounds (or seemed). It's centred around Lily's crazy family, who all have issues but love her in their own way. It's a light read for when you need a laugh, with real life issues mixed in with the funny humour. Lily is quite different to me, making me intrigued by her choices. I wouldn't say they were always sensible, but if I heard voices I'm sure I'd have acted illogically at times. I hated putting the book down because I wanted to get to the bottom of the matter! The truth is...not going to be spoiled by me. Let's say it is a good plot twist and well worth the agonising wait. 

Keep up to date with Lindsay on Twitter.

Available to buy at most bookstores including NRC affiliate Foyles

Suggested read

No comments: