Friday 2 October 2015

Desperate Measures by Sandra Orchard (Romance, Thriller, 10/10E)

June 2015, Revell, 368 pages, Ebook, Review copy from NetGalley

Content: heaps of drama, suspense, mild to moderate romance, humour, 

Summary from Revell
Kate won't be safe until all of Port Aster's secrets are revealed

Researcher Kate Adams has finally pinpointed the supposed "miracle plant" that tore apart her family years ago. She's certain that discovering its secrets is her only hope of solving the mystery surrounding her father's disappearance. She's willing to risk anything to find the truth, including her relationship with Detective Tom Parker. But with so many people in pursuit of the plant, going it alone might be a fatal mistake.

Nayu's thoughts   
Squee! I do like my Mafia, reads, and this one didn't disappoint, although initially there's not a lot of involvement. I love Kate's life. I sort of understood why she was hiding her research, that she would do anything to see her father, which is sweet. It got her in a lot of trouble, although at times sort of saved her too. I enjoyed not knowing who to trust, all the drama which came about when she was in trouble – it found her frequently. 

There are plot twists and ever so many layers to unravel, which continued to surprise me and make me smile, and some which had me convinced Kate wouldn't survive to the end of the book (she does, just). She has plenty of courage, perhaps a bit too much stubborness, but she slowly lets people into her head, as it were. The inevitable romance was realistic and not overpowering. I'm hoping there will be more books with her in! I doubt her life will ever be ordinary. 

The only reason this didn't get full marks is that at times the plot twists were too complex for me to grasp, especially near the end where people switched sides a lot. This is probably because I read when tired, so find it harder to get my head around subtle plots. I didn'trealise for a while this was the 3rd book in a series which goes to show it can be a standalone read, although I definitely want to read others in the series! 

Find out more on Sandra's website.

Suggested read
Another thrilling read which I've since bought the audiobook is The Liar by Nora Roberts (Thriller, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

No comments: