Saturday 12 September 2015

Emma Learns to Sprout by Shir Guez (Children's, 5 years +, 10E/10E)

July 2014, Amazon, 22 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Content: nature, natural joy for the world 

Summary from Amazon (I don't benefit by mentioning them)
A great children’s book! This book tells the story of Emma, a kindergartener who is like all kids her age, curious and willing to learn new things. Her mom decides to teach her an important lesson about nutrition, along with other life lessons like patience

Nayu's thoughts     
The title says it all – Emma learns how to grow sprouts. I haven't seen a book like this, and I mean it in a good way. Sprouts are fun to grow, as they develop quickly which is useful for anyone with a short attention span (myself included). They are tasty, nutritious, and can be used in a variety of dishes. Emma's mother teaches her tips like how sprouts can be eaten once grown, but if left a little longer they will be even tastier. 

I've grown them myself in the past and they grow abundantly. As well as the positive story, I adored the illustrations. The love between Emma and her mother, as well as her excitement while the sprouts grow is clear to see and very sweet. I hope Emma will have more books about other food and activities! 

Suggested read
For more growing fun check out Lottie and Dottie Sow Carrots by Claire Burgess and Marijke van Veldhoden (Children's, 5 years +, 10E/10E)

 

No comments: