Monday 31 August 2015

Woolly Mammoth by Nick Manning and Brita Granstrom (Children's, Non-fiction, 9/10E)


 July 2015, Frances Lincoln Children's Books, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: cold and woolly facts

Summary from Mick and Brita's website
Have you ever wondered what life was like for the Woolly Mammoth? It was very hard! These kings of the elephant race faced the harsh Ice Age climate and the threat of natural predators - none more terrifying than Man and his merciless spear.

Nayu's thoughts
This is an informative and fun read on a pre-historic animal. It wasn't a requested book, the illustrations weren't entirely my style and it's not my most favourite animal but I'm reviewing it because I know it will appeal to many children, and also older readers who want an uncomplicated explanation of facts behind this ancestor of modern day elephants. I dimly recall investigating woolly mammoths for one of my first pieces of work at secondary school - it didn't go too well as initially I resisted listening to my family on how to present it. I can't remember what happened when I handed it in! This book would have saved me back then. 

Available at bookstores including NRC affiliate Foyles

Suggested read
If you love animal facts try Wildlife by Paul Thurlby (Children's, Non-fiction, 9/10E)

No comments: