Sunday 21 June 2015

Poppy Pickle by Emma Yarlett (Children's, Picture book, 10/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

This is all real!!
  May 2015, Templar, 40 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Summary from Amazon  (I don't gain anything by mentioning them)
Poppy has the most extraordinary imagination. When she is sent upstairs to tidy her room, she just can't help imagining and suddenly ...her imagination literally comes alive. Soon her room is jam-packed with all kinds of weird and wonderful creatures. There's a problem, though - the mammoth puts his foot through the floor and the hungry crocodile thinks Poppy would make a tasty snack. Poppy needs to get rid of all these creatures FAST - but how?

Nayu's thoughts 
Poppy has a huge problem and comes up with a clever solution with her imagination. I imagined a lot when I was younger – I continue to do so now – but I never ever filled my room to bursting with creatures to play with. 

The part where they get out of control reminded me of a scene in one of the Tinkerbell movies, Tinkerbell and the Great Fairy Rescue where the little girl gets footprints on the ceiling after Tink helps her fly. The reason I mention this is the movie is totally believable, as is this book, although for a few seconds I was taken out of the magic of belief when Poppy's parents found her room in such a state. What happened at the end isn't what I'd expected, but happily so because it pulled me back to believing the entire tale could really happen.  

Find out more on Emma's website.

No comments: