Monday 29 June 2015

Minus Me by Ingelin Rossland (Young Adult 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

I now want to bawl my eyes out when I see/hear the title - you'll know why when you find the title in the book! 
2nd July 2015, Rock the Boat, 288 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Summary from Amazon (Rock the Boat website isn't up and running yet & I don't gain anything by mentioning Amazon)
It’s not always easy to become the person you want to be.

When Linda discovers that she has a life-threatening heart condition, she refuses to be wrapped in cotton wool. Determined to experience everything a thirteen-year-old girl should, she starts to work her way through a list of all the things she and her best friend wish to do: have a first kiss, go to a pop concert, travel without her parents... But when a strange and mysterious boy called Zak appears, Linda’s life takes an unexpected turn – suddenly she is experiencing things she never dreamed possible, and every moment is precious.


Nayu's thoughts   
It didn't take long for me to realise tissues were a must with this heartgripping read about living life to the full. I knew from the summary it would be a bittersweet read, more so as certain plot twists unravel along the way that Linda ticks off items on her bucket list. Some are normal but the way they happen is crazy, others are just crazy but life is for living, not for being sensible. 

The adult in me could see that sometimes Linda could have gone about completing that list in a different way which wouldn't make her family worry so much – I mean running away isn't a good idea even if kind people are involved – but her determination and inner strength shines through the emotional journey both Linda and I as a reader go through. 

The ending was out of the blue yet made total sense and has me wanting to reread the book soon (which probably won't happen as I have many more to read, but I will reread it somewhen, just like you should! 

Buy this book on Foyles, a NRC affiliate
 

No comments: