Sunday 7 June 2015

Midnight Texas Book #2: Day Shift by Charlaine Harris (Paranormal, 9/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 May 2015, Gollancz, 320 pages, Hardback, Review copy

Content: murder, mystery, vampires etc, humour, lots of suspense. 

Summary from Orion
A new stand-alone mystery set in the intriguing town of Midnight, Texas...

Welcome to Midnight, Texas.

It's a quiet little town, perched at the junction between Davy Road and Witch Light Road, and it's easy to miss. With its boarded-up windows, single traffic light and sleepy air, there's nothing special about Midnight . . . which is exactly how the residents like it.

So when the news comes that a new owner plans to renovate the run-down, abandoned old hotel in town, it's not met with pleasure. Who would want to come to Midnight, with its handful of shops, the Home Cookin diner, and quiet residents - and why?

But there are bigger problems in the air. When Manfred Bernado, the newest resident in town, is swept up in a deadly investigation suddenly the hotel and its residents are the least of the towns concern. The police, lawyers and journalists are all headed to Midnight, and it's the worst possible moment . . .


Nayu's thoughts
You might think it weird that I'm reviewing a book I haven't finished, but trust me when I say when you pick up the book you'll understand why it is awesome. As I was reading there were the odd topic which didn't sit comfortably with me, so I wasn't entirely surprised when I got half way and realised I couldn't read on due to the content clashing with my personal views. I'm not saying what as it will spoil the story. I did then skip along to the end to see what happens, and the end is great!

I love how at first life in Day Shift seems normal, but slowly each person in the town is revealed as being of the paranormal nature. The discoveries kept me reeling and thinking back on where the clues were to everyone's true nature. It was hard not reading on and finding out how everyone's life was intertwined because I loved each and every one, including the one who aged quickly (I so did not guess their true nature), the one whose power was huge, mysterious, and a vital part to the story. I felt like I knew them all so well once the truth came out, even though I know that I'd barely scratched the surface of their lives.

I'd started reading Day Shift because I love stories based around hotels. I enjoyed the tight-knit community feel, how nothing happened without everyone knowing in a short space of time, how everyone looked out for each other, protecting themselves and others from outsiders learning the truth about who they were. I'm sad that the book contained a few concepts which instantly make me stop reading a book, but I'm glad I read what I did because it means I get to share its awesomeness with you. Do read this book! It has intrigue, paranormal, murder, small town issues. It is super!

Find out more on Charlaine's website.

No comments: