Tuesday 16 June 2015

Adventures of Caramel Cardamom #3: Stellarcardia by Julie Anne Grasso (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)


Not overly fond of the cover, but the book is brilliant!
January 2015, 128 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Content: mild and major peril, humour

Book summary
Caramel Cinnamon is one lucky elf. She can hardly believe she’s invited to attend the first Intergalactic Youth Summit, on-board the Stellarcadia.
Her friends can’t wait to go “hyper,” but even the thought of it chills Caramel to the bone. However, nothing could compare to the icy reception she receives upon her arrival. Keen to get to the bottom of it, Caramel stumbles on a dangerous conspiracy, but no one will believe her.

 Nayu's thoughts  
The final book in the Caramel saga is here! And it was the most gripping of all the adventures. I was highly apprehensive when Caramel had to go with her friends to the Stellarcardia because it didn't feel right. Like Caramel I sensed there was an underlying reason for those in authority being so open, and when that plot twist unravelled I did a lot of 'eeep'-ing in my head.

I love the way Julia's imagination work, transforming something entirely ordinary into a believable and exciting sci-fi alternative which had me going 'Cool!' a lot in my head. I loved how scary it was for Caramel to act as normal as possible while she and her friends snuck about and ferreted out the truth. I was sad when the end came because Caramel leads an exciting life, even though she'd rather be 'normal' – she has a slightly dodgly leg but still manages to save the day. I hope she can save it many more times in the future! 

Find out more on Julie's website

1 comment:

Jambo said...

Hurrahh, I am so delighted that you enjoyed this one. I love Stellarcadia best of all, so thank you so much for sharing the journey of Caramel with me for so many years. Your support has boosted my soul immeasurably. Caramel has signed out, but Frankie continues, LOL. Best wishes, Julie Grasso