Tuesday 7 April 2015

The Phoenix Presents Gary's Garden #1 by Gary Northfield (Children's, 5 years +, 9/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

Most hilarious garden ever!
  August 2014, David Fickling Books, 64 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Content: lots of humour

Summary from The Phoenix 
Here is Gary chilling in his Garden. But WAIT! Look CLOSER! Look what’s happening right under Gary’s nose…grumpy caterpillars! Space-travelling ladybirds! Ninja hedgehogs!
 
HAHAHA! And what’s that? It’s all the laughter coming out of Gary’s Garden – Why don’t you come and see
 
Nayu's thoughts
I promise you won't find a more entertaining garden than this one! I was laughing on almost every page. To say Gary's Garden has a few strong personalities is an understatement. The way the creatures mingle/interfere/interact in each other's lives is clever, the illustrations managing to convey much more than the speech bubbles do, which in themselves are hilarious. Oh, every page is in full colour!

I loved the fact that there are so many stories within this book, and I was sad when I got to the last page. One of my personal favourites has to be if my memory serves me correctly one of the pigeons who gets picked on a lot. I've since passed this on to a younger reader to enjoy, but have no doubt I'll buy another copy as a pick-me-up for days when I need more smiles.  

Suggested read 
Althought there are more in the The Phoneix Presents series, do check out Vern and Lettuce by Sarah McIntyre (Children's, graphic novel, 10E/10E)

No comments: