Wednesday 19 November 2014

Animal Ark: Kittens in the Kitchen Abridged Audio book by Lucy Daniels (Children’s, 7 years +, 10E/10E, semi short 'n' sweet review)

Mine was from Audible

2007, Hachette Children's, 1 hour 9 minutes, Audio book, Personal copy 

Content: Lots of aw moments

Summary from Hachette Children's for the paperback version 
Mr Williams, the caretaker at Mandy's school, is furious when a stray cat has a litter in his kitchen. He wants the kittens and their mum out of his house as soon as possible. Will Mandy be able to find owners for them all in just one week?

Nayu's thoughts
I remember Animal Ark being around when I was little, but I’m pretty sure I never got round to reading them. That’s why I picked this audio book so I could begin reading the series. it’s as fun as it sounds! Mandy faces such a tough challenge over insanely cute kittens. I was a bit devastated by her parents’ reaction, but the adult in me understood why the no strays policy was in place. Mandy tries so hard to find homes for kittens, and seems to meet brick walls every ways she turns. I think it’s a good example of why unless you know animals you breed will go to a loving home, it’s better to neuter them. 

Now, in theory when I found out this was an abridged version of the book after I’d listened to it, I would have given it a lower grade. I really hate abridged books, because as a reader & writer I know that some of the story is missing and I’m wondering which bits they are. However, I really enjoyed listening to this. It wasn’t read by one person – there was a narrator, but actors were used for the different characters and there were even sound effects! It was more like an audio play, I guess. Either way I loved it, hence the top grade. I’m going to just put the series on my wish list and wait until I can get the books with the full story – I want to read it unabridged in the future. 

Suggested read
For more cute animal reads check out Pooch Parlour #1: V I P (Very Important Pup by Katy Cannon (Children's, 7 years +, 10/10E

No comments: