Wednesday 15 October 2014

Ivy and Bean Take the Case by Annie Barrows and Sophie Blackall (Children's, 7 years +, 10/10E, short 'n' sweet review)


August 2014, Abrams & Chronicle, 136 pages, Hardback, Review copy

Themes: friendship, life with neighbours

Content: mystery, humour,

Summary from Abrams & Chronicle
Watch out, you diabolical masterminds! There's a new detective on Pancake Court: Bean! She laughs at danger! She solves even the most mysterious mysteries! What? There aren't any mysteries? Then Bean and her assistant, Ivy, will make some!

Nayu's thoughts
This is the first Ivy & Bean book that I've read, and I totally love it! I love their close bonds of friendship, how they never give up on what they set out to do. Making a mystery sounds just the thing to do for new detectives - there are mysteries to be found, they just had to look hard. There were a few non-mysterious mysteries before they stumbled across the major one. It was sweet what they considered necessary to be a detective, and how they set about getting particular items. 

The illustrations are like the cherry on a cake, adding even more to an already awesome read, bringing the story to life. Expressions mean so much in a book. It felt like I'd known Ivy & Beans for ages, I didn't feel like a newcomer to their lives. I didn't want the story to stop because I was having fun with them, both from the story and seeing their delight in investigating mysteries.  

The reason this didn't get an E grade is because the mystery doesn't get fully solved. I appreciate that Ivy & Bean learnt they had fun together & with others trying to solve it, which is a good life lesson, but as a reader I wanted to know the truth! It's such an odd mystery I'm feeling miffed not to have an answer. 

Find out more on both Annie's website & Sophie's website.

Suggested read
There are two fun detective series, Eliza Boom's Diary by Emily Gale (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E)


and Mariella Mystery Investigates by Emily Pankhurst (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E). Both links are to the latest book that I've reviewed. 

No comments: