Saturday 19 April 2014

Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear and Other Nursery Rhymes by Steven Lenton (Children's, Non-Fiction, 10E/10E)



 September 2013, Little Tiger Press, Boardbook, 24 pages, Review copy

Themes: nursery rhymes,
 
Content: humour

Summary from Little Tiger Press
Introduce your toddler to nursery rhymes with this beautiful
board book with a squishy cover. With many treasured classics, including “Little
Jack Horner” and “Polly Put the Kettle On”, little children will love the soft
illustrations bursting with warmth and cheer.

Nayuleska's thoughts
I make it no secret that I'm not a poetry fan, despite reviewing several collections. However, somehow nursery rhymes skip the poetry issue in my mind. I love nursery rhymes. Maybe it's because I learnt them off by heart when I was little and have the tune of them set in my head. There are probably several tunes you can saying nursery rhymes to, no doubt someone somewhere has investigated this!

I'm enjoying seeing old favourites like Polly Puts the Kettle On and London Bridge in this book. Some still seem as stupid now as they used to be like What Can the Matter Be? and Three Little Kittens where they are deprived a meal for losing some mittens-that's child abuse! I enjoyed the title nursery rhyme because not only did the sweet rotund bear do all the actions he also had his own little cute bear in bed! 

It was a mega awww fest when I saw the rabbit for the Hot Cross Buns nursery rhyme. The new to me nursery rhymes include Rain on the Green Grass with a sorrowful owl in a tiny bird house, Turtles with cute turtles (that was obvious, wasn't it?) and Five Fat Peas which I suspect was said at night before a child went to bed so they could have their feet tickled. I'm going to finish with a new to me poem which spoke volumes for all of it's 16 words, and which apply to my view on kindness and kind deeds.

Kind Hearts

Kind hearts are gardens
Kind thoughts are roots,
Kind words are blossoms,
Kind deeds are fruits.

Suggested read
I've recently a book about a nursery rhyme which is now my favourite, Little Bo Peep by Charles Reasoner (Children's, Picture/Board book, 10E/10E)

No comments: