Sunday 19 January 2014

The Little Girl Who Lost Her Name by David Cadji-Newby and Pedro Serapicos (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)



 2013, Lost My Name, Paperback, Page numbers vary depending on the name used, Review copy 

Summary from Lost My Name
Lostmy.name is a children personalised adventure book like no other. A little girl / boy wakes up one morning to a nasty surprise — her / his name has gone! So she / he embarks on a magical journey to find her / his lost name — and discovers the missing letters, one by one, through fantastic, fabulous and often very funny encounters with weird and wonderful creatures. Every book is as special (and almost as wonderful) as the child it was made for, and is based on the letters of their name.

Nayuleska's thoughts
This is a brilliant concept. I received two copies, one using my real name and the other using Nayuleska. The start and end of both books were the same but some of the pages were different because the books use letters of the reader's name and the illustrations used match the letters as the girl goes searching for her name. I loved how she made friends and helped others out, her pleasant nature is reciprocated as each creature gives her a letter.

I loved the range of colours used in the illustrations, there look to be lots of different textures even though they all were just paper. I wanted to sink my fingers into the Yeti's long fur, and the rainbow was bright and cheery. Some characters were present in both books because my offline name shares a few with Nayuleska, but the rest were different. I enjoyed how the text varied its position depending n the illustration. This is a unique way of creating a story personalised to the reader, one I'm eager to spread the word about!

Find out more on how to get your own, personalised copy of the book over on the dedicated website.

Suggested read
Read about another girl off on an adventure in Goodnight Princess by Michelle Robinson and Nick East (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

No comments: