Saturday 25 January 2014

Star Girl by Karin Littlewood (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

 November 2013, Frances Lincoln, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copy 

Summary from Frances Lincoln
Gracie had a star. Every night it shone for her outside her bedroom window.

“You’re my special star,” she whispered.

But every morning, as dawn breaks, Gracie’s star fades from the sky.  So one sparkling night Gracie climbs the tallest tree and gently takes her star out of the sky. Now she will have it with her all the time.

Then, what a disappointment!  In Gracie’s hands, her star lies dull, cold and grey. She fills her room with sparkly things, puts the star in a rockpool, and takes it to the place where the fireflies flitter. But nothing can make her star shine. At last Gracie knows what she has to do… and that night she gets a wonderful surprise.

Nayuleska's thoughts 
I took time out before writing this review, and not even the tart berries with natural yogurt helped me find the words to express the moral of this book. There is a moral in it, which I feel as I read the story but I simply can't explain. The girl sees her sparkly star, gets in, then it doesn't shine. I'm pretty sure it's like other objects which are beautiful to look at... 

AHA! I've found the right words! The girl is greedy and wants her star by her side, instead of shining for her and everyone else. Being greedy and keeping things for yourself that can benefit others doesn't benefit you in the long run, as the girl finds out. It thought the ways she tried to make it shine were clever, made all the more stunning by the detailed and expressive illustrations. The end made me smile as things were as they should be. P.S. I loved her bunny toy!

Find out more on Karin's website

Suggested read
For another night adventure involving taking an object check out Sidney, Stella, and the Moon by Emma Yarlett (Children's, Picture book, 9.5/10E)

No comments: