Monday 22 October 2012

What are YOU reading? #138

What are you reading on Monday? is a weekly meme hosted by Rachel at Home Girl's Book Blog where you post books completed last week and plans for upcoming books. Jump over to her blog and see who else is participating.



Books I've Read



The Cupcake Diaries: Mia's Baker's Dozen by Coco Simon
Children's, 7 years +
(Nearly all of Mia's thoughts & feelings reflected my own as she struggles with both school and home life...) 
10/10




Saranormal: Haunted Memories by Phoebe Rivers
Children's, 7 years +
(An awesome spooky read, even if it did feel too old for intended age group...) 
9/10




The Dinosaur's Packed Lunch by Jacqueline Wilson
Children's, 5 years +
(Totally unexpected and awesome plot twist) 
9/10



The Wolf Princess by Cathryn Constable
Children's, 9 years +
(Magical tale filled with a lost princess, wolves and elegance...) 
10/10




The 10 Rules of Skimming by Zella Compton & Jess Swainson
Children's, 10 years +
(Very weird...freaky but brilliant!)
9/10




The Adventures of Abney & Teal: Bop's Hiccups by Joel Stewart
Children's, Picture book
(A sweet tale that shows the plus and minus side of hiccuping...)
10/10




Dork Diaries by Rachel Renee Russell
Children's, 9 years +
(1st book in a hilarious series full of mishap...)
10/10




Sammy Feral's Diaries of Weird by Eleanor Hawken
Children's, 8 years +
(Sammy is really brave when his world is turned upside down; he's a real hero!)
10/10




Possessed by Kate Cann
Young Adult
(Not as scary as the cover looks...) 
10/10






Reread (& finished)

Airhead by Meg Cabot
Young Adult
(Having her own body switched without permission is the least of Em's worries when she has Nikki's family to deal with...)
10/10





Watched


The Great British Bake Off 
...this week it was the final, which a few mishaps. The winner, John, totally deserved it. He'd fluctuated a bit during the competition, but he stepped his game up and delivered an amazing chiffon cake - I was eyeing up the little ones filled with lemon curd! 




Winx Club season 1 - (French version)
...I've finished it! For the umpteenth time. I think it was putting it off as it has a lot of things that wiggle and I hate animals like that. There are at least 4 episodes with a lot of those things. *shudders* Ok so I've just realised I can fast forward those bits, but a lot of important scenes happen so I'm stuck with it. Still I can start season 2 tonight - Layla appears! Originally I wasn't that keen on her, but I now love all the girls all the time - they are each different and special in their own way. Go Winx! 




Shugo Chara Doki!
...still loving the re-watch of this one. It's starting to get a bit more serious now as I'm nearing the end of the series (well, end of one story arc), so it hasn't constantly been on. Still waiting for Temari to make her appearance! (Naghiko's first egg when he was Nadeshko (it's complex))




Neo Angelique Abyss
...I finished the 2nd season of this (which really makes it one 26 episode season with the 1st season). It was brilliant all the way through Angelique gets to fight with a sword (although she is rather rubbish). The stakes get higher and higher, and the plot twists had me gasping a lot. The end...was beautiful. Ok so part of me didn't want it as I wanted Angie to be with those she loved, but what she did was better than that. She made the world a better place, and I'd have made the same choice. 




Since I've finished NAA I needed to start a new one. So I tried...



...Lilpri
It's awesome! It's super cute, based kind of on the stories of Cinderella, Snow White and Kagura (I think - some Japanese princess I hadn't heard of). The girls have great fun together, especially when they chance into Lilpri (Little Princesses) - they can only change for a limited time, enough to say hi to people, sing a song to make them happy and to disappear. They look beautiful all grown up. I'm addicted to the theme song, still don't know all the words but I know the tune. A brilliant magical girl anime with over 50 episodes! 




I've also started La Storia della la Arcana Famiglia.
It's a mafia setting, with the father wanting to retire. Whoever wins the competition which will test their Arcana (special skills including moving things, having affinity with things, becoming invisible - each has their own skill) - and also marry the father's daughter. Felicita is not a happy bunny to hear that. She's a bit feisty anyway, not wanting to be overprotected or treated different because she's the only daughter. She can fight! She does so frequently with any of the guys (there are a lot of potential suitors, poor Felicita) when they are rude to her. I've seen a lot of low reviews for this, primarily because some viewers expected it to be full of action, and the focus is on character.



No comments: