Saturday 7 April 2012

Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists by Gideon Defoe

January 2012, Bloomsbury
224 Pages,Paperback
Review copy

Humour with almost pantomime violence
Summary from Bloomsbury

Just make sure we've got plenty of hams on board. I didn't really enjoy our last adventure much because we ran out of hams about halfway through. And what's my motto? I like ham!

It is 1837, and for the luxuriantly bearded Pirate Captain and his rag-tag pirate crew, life on the high seas has gotten a little dull. With nothing to do but twiddle their hooks and lounge aimlessly on tropical beaches, the Captain decides it's time they had an adventure. 

A surprisingly successful boat raid leads them to the young Charles Darwin, in desperate need of their help. And so the pirates set forth for London in a bid to save the scientist from the evil machinations of a diabolical Bishop. There they encounter grisly murder, vanishing ladies, the Elephant Man - and have an exciting trip to the zoo. 

The Mole's Review

This book came as a bit of a surprise to me because the books I normally review for Nayu's Reading Corner  are books for the younger reader and this one felt wrong although the title and cover did sort of cover the 'children's' genre. So I checked with the author who said "Adults! But also kids who don't mind plots that don't exactly hang together." Whew! I breathed a sigh of relief. So why did I query?

There is nothing not to like about this book... the characters, the little footnote 'factoids', the maps, the hams.... nothing! 

My overall feeling was of Pythonesque humour and when I heard it was to be a film I cast John Cleese as the Pirate Captain, Eric Idle as the pirate with the scarf and Michael Palin as Jennifer and I am convinced it would work. A truly laugh out loud and (more annoyingly) read out loud when others are trying to do something that doesn't involve reading  "Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists".

Enjoy this book - I most certainly did!

No comments: