Wednesday 11 January 2012

The Babysitters Club Collection 1: Kristy's Great Idea by Ann M Martin (Children's, 9 years +)


1994, Hippo (Scholastic)
458 pages, Paperback
Personal copy 

Themes: teen jobs, babysitting, pet sitting, dealing with the unexpected, living as a divorced family, school work, sweets addict, falling out with friends, having fun with friends, life changes, being different, getting into trouble, lots of laughs. 

Book blurb (for the collection) 
Trust Kristy Thomas and her big ideas! 

Kristy and her friends love babysitting and one day she has a great idea. Why doesn't she set up a babysitting club? So together with her friends, Claudia, Mary Anne and Stacey, Kristy starts THE BABYSITTERS CLUB. And although things don't always go to plan, they have a lot of fun on the way! 

Nayuleska's thoughts
I'm reviewing the first book in this collection, Kristy's Big Idea which tells the story of how the club came into existence. It's been over 10 years since I last read it, and I'm happy to say I love it just as much now as I did then. 

Confession time. I don't read Kristy's name as Kristy. I see it as Kirsty. I always have done - I don't know why! I read the others just fine. But Kristy is Kirsty to me :) 

I love getting to know Kristy and her friends, they all have family issues which the reader can relate to. They also end up doing the right thing eventually, even if it takes them a while to get their. I love these books because the girls did things I always wanted to do (but couldn't). My favourite books are the specials when they go away (either as a family or to camp). My plan is to collect them all! This book is 10/10 (the first one. I think they all are, but I haven't read it yet). Oh, don't tell my family that plan. I already have a book space problem. 

Suggested read
For another fun friend focused series,. which has just come out, check out The Cupcake Diaries: Katie and the Cupcake Cure

(I'm in love with the cover so much I keep this book propped up on my dresser) 

No comments: