Wednesday 12 October 2011

The Dare Game by Jacqueline Wilson (Children's, 9 years +)


March 2011, Corgi Yearling, 
256 pages, Paperback
Review copy 

Children's, 9 years + 

Themes: living with foster family, high expectations, dares, truancy, home alone, playing fire, making friends, moderate peril, some humour. 

I'M TRACY BEAKER, THE GREAT INVENTOR OF EXTREMELY OUTRAGEOUS DARES - AND I DARE YOU TO READ A MORE BRILLIANT STORY THAN THIS. 

I've bought a big fat notebook for writing down all my mega-manic ultra-scary stories in. But especially for my own story. Of how my foster-mum, Cam, has turned out to be a real meanie. No designer closthers, when I really need them. A pokey flat, and a horrible new school. No wonder I bunk off...Still, it will have to do until my real mum comes and gets me. And until then, no-one is going to be better at the Dare Game than Tracy Beaker! 

Nayuleska's reasons for loving Tracy...she settles on the right decision at the end. I don't like that she thought ancient pots and fragments were the pits - I love pot fragments! (Note: my degree was in Ancient History, so pots are very important to me). 

How evil/nasty is the enemy? Anger is a terrible beast to manage when it gets out of hand. As is peer pressure. 

Are there lots of plot twists and surprises? I was a little shocked at how dangerous the dares got, and couldn't quite believe the way Alexander got hurt. 

One of my favourite parts was...when Tracy was reunited with Cam because they really are well suited for each other. 

This third Tracy Beaker book gets 9/10 from me. 

Learn more about Tracy and Jacqueline on her website

Suggested read
Be sure to read where it all started, The Story of Tracy Baker


No comments: