Monday 1 August 2011

Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery by Keren David (Young Adult)


4th August 2011, Frances Lincoln
352 pages, paperback
Review copy 

Young Adult 

School life, friends (real and fake), teen romance (quite moderate in places), lots of drama, mistakes, family life, how money changes how people view you, recklessness, lots of humour, culture clashes, a tissue will be needed. 

Summary from Frances Lincoln 

Money can’t buy you love. But it can buy many other very nice things.


Lia’s mum is a nag, her sister’s a pain and she’s getting nowhere in pursuit of the potentially paranormal Raf. Then she wins £8 million in the lottery, and suddenly everything is different. But will Lia’s fortune create more problems than it solves? 

Note from Nayuleska: I openly admit I'm biased about this book. I helped Keren with some info on Islam (I made the acknowledgements! Thank you Keren!) I've read some early chapters pre-publication. It was a real pleasure to help out, and it's exciting to see it in it's finished form. So read on for why I loved Lia, and possibly head elsewhere if you would liked a neutral review (not that I want people to go elsewhere, but mine isn't neutral). 

Nayuleska's reasons for loving Lia....she's diabolical at the beginning when she gets her hands on the money, but she learns restraint eventually, and is able to figure out what she wants in life. 

Is there another character who deserves a mention? Shaz! Keren picked it from a selection of names I gave her. Shaz is a fun character, because she stays true to her religion, and still is there for Lia. There are moments when they don't understand each other, and Shaz stays away from Lia. It does all work out in the end, and I like how the future is looking for Shaz. 

How evil/nasty is the enemy? Lia misunderstands a few situations, but she eventually seeks help when she needs it. Lia's imagination occasionally makes her a danger to herself! 

Are there plenty of plot twists and surprises? There are quite a few shocking ones which I never expected (mostly in a good way). With Lia, you never know what'll happen next! 

One of my favourite parts was...when Lia thinks she might be allergic to halal biscuits (I think it made the final version...I'm going on memory on notes I wrote in emails so this might not actually exist.) 

This definitely gets 10/10 from me! 

Lia has her own website (watch out world! It is more about Lia's book than Lia actually talking). 

Be sure to check out Keren's website

Suggested reads
Read the first series Keren wrote, which becomes with When I was Joe (it was with this book that I got to know Keren, who is lovely). Snow shouldn't stop Lia's publication launch)


No comments: