Wednesday 1 June 2011

The Vampire Hunters by Pete Johnson


2nd June 2011, Yearling
272 pages, Paperback
Review copy 

Children's, 9+ Paranormal 

Vampires, school life, being the odd one out, friendships lost and found, evil strangers, flying, things aren't what they seem, blogging, 

On my thirteenth birthday, my life changed for ever. That’s when I learned the shocking truth: I’m a half-vampire.


Think that sounds cool? Think again! I’ve been attacked by an evil vampire bat, had huge cravings for my best friend’s blood, and nearly died from eating a pizza (half-vampires aren’t great with garlic). Writing my secret blog is the only thing that’s kept me from going completely crazy.


As if life couldn’t get any more complicated, there have been some vicious attacks in the local woods. Vampire-mad Tallulah (definitely not my girlfriend) thinks a super-vampire is behind them – and she’s desperate to prove it, with a mysterious chain that’s supposed to glow red-hot when a vampire is close by.



And I have a horrible feeling that the chain’s going to turn red-hot any day now . . .


Nayuleska's reasons for loving Marcus...he's rather funny in his blog posts, and how he views other peoples' actions (which would be different from a girl's point of view). 

Is there another character who  deserves a mention? Gracie - because its through Marcus that she accepts herself (and its nice to have a girl's take on being a half-vampire) Also Tallulah - I so wish she remembered the truth about Marcus! 

How evil/nasty is the enemy? So evil that my heart skipped a few beats when Marcus had the final showdown. 

Are there plenty of plot twists and surprises? There are a few, although I had guessed the main one. 

One of my favourite parts was...when Marcus flitted on his own. Bat-tastic! 

I happily give this vampire book 9/10 

Please check out Pete's guest blog here, and you can find out more on his website here

You can enter a competition to win both books in this series (this is book 2) here 

Suggested reads
For more views on being a vampire from a male point of view, try Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer (reviews of books 2 & 3 are to follow soon) 

If you're after a paranormal book involving blogging, discover more about Scarlett's strange afterlife in Scarlett Dedd by Cathy Brett

No comments: