Monday 11 April 2011

One Liners: An Avid Reader and Father Time Compromise #5

"One Liners: An Avid Reader and Father Time Compromise"....is the place where my love of books meets a busy schedule and in lieu of passing up the chance to share the book with you, I'll share the book(s) read in brief; enough to pique your curiosity without over indulging. Sound good? Here goes....




Cows In Action: The Moo-lympic Games by Steve Cole
Release Date:  February 2010
Publisher:  Red Fox
148 pages, paperback


Children's

---------------------------------

Summary from Red Fox:
Professor McMoo, Pat and Bo aren't just any old cows, they're time-travelling, super-clever Cows In Action who visit past and future, around the world to stop the evil Ter-moo-nators changing history . . .

When Little Bo Vine and her brother Pat are captured by the evil F.B.I. ter-moo-nators and taken back to ancient Greece at the time of the ancient Olympic Games, Professor McMoo follows, determined to rescue them. But this is easier said than done, and with the ter-moo-nators plotting to win every event at the games, and take over the world, the C.I.A have got a challenge ahead . . .



----------------------------------------

Nayuleska's Thoughts:
I'd been wanting to read this series for ages. I have a friend who loves cows, and I've already read some of the astrosaurs series and adore it. Strangely I didn't fall in love with this series. Don't get me wrong, it's well written, and the concepts are clever, especially all the humour. Yet it didn't seem as amazing as Astrosaurs, or some other animal antics books I've read. It was missing something I can't name. Comes with colourful collector's cards. Still a good read, just not one I'll re-read (I will read new ones, because they are funny).


Rating:
6/10




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






Astrosaurs: The Claws of Christmas by Steve Cole
Release Date:  September 2010
Publisher:  Red Fox
129 pages, paperback


Children's

------------------------------------------------

Summary from Red Fox:
The astrosaurs are on their way home for Christmas when they encounter millions of Christmas presents flying through space. Teggs and his crew are ordered to take the presents back to Santa Claus and his elfosaauruses . Little do they know, that all is not merry this Christmas on the North Pole star . . . Can they track down whoever's determined to spoil Christmas?



----------------------------------------------

Nayuleska's Thoughts:
These remain my favourite books by Steve. There's so much action and humour. Although I guessed a few of them, most of the plot twists took me by surprise which was nice. The illustrations add to the humour/peril being described. Comes with 4 brightly coloured, very sturdy collectors cards, One for my re-read shelf!


Rating:
9/10



 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~






Gargoylz Save Christmas by Burchett & Vogler
Release Date:  September 2010
Publisher:  Red Fox
116 pages, paperback

Children's

-----------------------------------------

Summary from Red Fox:

In Gargoylz Save Christmas Max and Ben embark on the 10th madcap mission of this collectible series with the help of Santa’s special helper.

Oh, no, Santa’s elves have been struck down with the dreaded Sneeze Disease on Christmas Eve. Who will help out on the busiest night of the year?

Luckily Max and Ben with the help, or sometimes hindrance, of Santa’s special Gargoyle, are ready to lend a hand. But, as the boys should know by now, nothing is straightforward when a gargoyle’s on the loose, particularly on an occasion as important as Christmas!



------------------------------------------


Nayuleska's Thoughts:
I love this series! At the moment the Gargoylz remind me of fairies. Or pixies. I know this is probably at odds with what they look like (no pretty dresses for the girls...), but they are eager to help solve problems. Max and Ben go along for the ride in a different mode of transport to a car. They manage to enjoy themselves while they work, and there are lots of laughs to be had. I keep hoping every Gargoyl I see will turn to life. As usual it comes with a fun Gargoylz sticky toy.


Rating:
10/10



No comments: