Sunday 26 December 2010

Heroes of Olympus: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan


October 2010, Puffin
560 pages, Hardback
Review copy 

Children's, fantasy 

Mythical creatures, Greek/Roman deities, quests, deathly peril, friendships, family ties, prophecies, dreams, many evil beings, dragons, 

Summary from Penguin 

OLD ENEMIES AWAKEN AS CAMP HALF-BLOOD'S NEW ARRIVALS PREPARE FOR WAR
When Jason, Piper and Leo crash land at Camp Half-Blood, they have no idea what to expect. Apparently this is the only safe place for children of the Greek Gods – despite the monsters roaming the woods and demigods practising archery with flaming arrows and explosives.
But rumours of a terrible curse – and a missing hero – are flying around camp. It seems Jason, Piper and Leo are the chosen ones to embark on a terrifying new quest, which they must complete by the winter solstice. In just four days time.
Can the trio succeed on this deadly mission – and what must they sacrifice in order to survive?

Nayuleska's thoughts
I was super excited to read this book, especially after finishing The Red Pyramid and adoring it. The book started off with lots of action and a lot of mystery. I was so puzzled why Jason couldn't remember a single thing. He was a pretty cool character - I mean it's not every day you end up as an amnesiac amongst students who have troubled lives. He can fly!!! Not even Percy could do that. Mind you, Leo finds a way to fly. He's pretty nifty with anything mechanical, although he discovers there are things not even he can fix. As for Piper - she carries an awful lot of burdens on her shoulders. And stupidly she tries to solve them herself. The three of their lives are intertwined for a reason. Jason has the most mystery, but all play an important role in the quest. All three are needed to succeed. And succeeding doesn't mean celebration. There's a lot of doom and gloom on their horizon - not that I'd expect any less! 

I'm not fond of having to say the next part. I did enjoy the book for some of the parts. There was a point where for me it started to drag a little. There were funny moments, but I was bored. Not a good sign. I kept thinking of the constant action and humour in The Red Pyramid. It wasn't here. And I missed it. I know they are separate books. But flipping through the last hundred pages wasn't fun - or a good thing. There's a really neat story twist at the end involving Percy, I loved that. Equally there was one key part of the story which didn't ring true. It concerns Jason, and who he really is. I just didn't by it that the other person involved was too embarrassed to mention it to her friends - and Percy. With all that they went through in Percy's adventures, nearly dying at some points, I'm sure she would have said something to someone. I realise it meant certain plot lines could then work in The Lost Hero. Doesn't mean I'm keen on it!

At the moment I'm honestly not sure if I'd want to read the next one. I think I'd like to give it a try, but if I end up skimming pages I won't wait until the end to stop. I do feel that this is a good read, especially for fans of Percy. There is so much more to the world, and to the lives of the demi-gods. 

Final Conclusion 
A good start for the next chapter in the world involving Percy Jackson, with brave new demi-gods with far more problems than Percy ever had. 

Definitely make sure you check out Percy's tales, which start with Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. My favourite book so far is definitely The Red Pyramid - non-stop action and laughter. 

Check out all the fun at Rick Riordan's website. http://www.rickriordan.com/home.aspx

2 comments:

Liz. R said...

Ooh, I've been looking forward to reading this, though to be honest I have been a bit wary because I absolutely adored the Percy Jackson series and I can just tell nothing will ever be as good. But lovely review - weighs up everything nicely. Thanks very much!

Nayuleska said...

Definitely give it a go if you can. You may enjoy it more than I did.