Tuesday 16 November 2010

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


May 2010, Simon and Schuster
406 pages, Paperback
Review copy 

Young Adult 

Minor spoilers in this review

Angels, a stalker, friendship, teen romance, single parent family, school, some romance, lots of terror, mind control, 

Summary from Simon and Schuster
Nora's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, she is drawn to him against her better judgement. But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and knows more about her than her closest friends.And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of a centuries-old battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and sooner or later, she's going to have to pick sides...

Nayuleska's thoughts
Slowly I'm coming across more stories with angels in them. Hush Hush is unique because here angels are mind readers! Nora doesn't know this or much else about Patch until later in the book. Every now and then she thinks she hears some words from him, but brushes off the experience. After all, that's not possible in reality. Poor Nora. She didn't know that telepathy was one of the minor acts which these angels can do. I won't spoil any more. I'll just say that I was terrified for Nora's safety at the end of the novel. It is clear for the reader that she will end up liking Patch, but the way they get together was a surprise. Patch is most definitely not a good guy - he harbours ill intentions towards Nora, but she manages to change his mind. This puts her in danger from other angels. Unintentionally Nora puts her best friend Vee in danger too. Vee took charge of a scary situation to divert the attention off Nora, but she wasn't to know that Nora's stalker would be so violent. I liked it how a lot of action evolved around Nora's house and school. Home is somewhere personal, that should be a safe place. Nora has that feeling of safety removed from her. She becomes afraid of Patch, but ends up developing feelings for him.  I think the only thing I wasn't keen on in the book was the cover. It's a little disturbing. 

Final conclusion 
Another slant on angels in fiction - mind readers! 

Be sure to check out the next book, Crescendo which is out now and will be reviewed soon.

2 comments:

Mari - Escape In A Book said...

Great review :) I enjoyed Hush, Hush a lot and I recently bought Crescendo but I haven't read it yet.

I'm so easily scared that I don't like bad things happening in a home setting, it makes me scared LOL.

What did you think of Vee as a character? She didn't come across as a good best friend to me.

Ladybug of Escape In A Book

Nayuleska said...

I would agree with that. At times I thought 'huh?' at what Vee said/did.