Wednesday 23 December 2009

Mini Review #1: If I Stay by Gayle Forman


May 2009, DoubleDay (RH imprint)
213 pages, Hardback
Personal Copy

Young Adult

Cushions: 1
Paperclips: 1 (or 2?)
Smiles: 1
Tissues: 4
Yunaleska's overall rating: ♥♥♥♥♥

Summary from the If I Stay website.

In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year- old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...
A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

This was recommended by a friend and fellow writer, so I nabbed it when I saw it on the shelf. It is cleverly done, how Mia is in an out of body experience and is figuring out whether she should live or die. Until half way through I thought the answer was obvious (live!). But the circumstances she faced thanks to the accident has her wondering whether living is the right decision. It took me longer than normal to step in her shoes, but when I did, it made me reflect on my own life. The journey she takes in making that decision is really touching. I doubt few people will have their life unchanged by reading this book.

Quote from Cat over at This Counts As Writing, Right? "All I can say the moment is 'Wow.' Yes, that's about all I'm capable of. (Oh, OK then, I thought the opening pages were among the most MAGNIFICENT I've read in a long time.)"

Check out the If I stay website, and also Gayle Forman's website.

Liked this? Try The Dead House by Anne Cassidy

1 comment:

Gina said...

Despite the mini-review state of your post, you manage to deliver enough insight to peak the readers curiousity. Great job!
I've heard good things about this book (actually quite a lot of good things) but have not read it yet myself. May remedy that in the future, but for now, enjoyed the post! Happy holidays!