Friday 26 June 2009

Princess Poppy: The Hidden Jewels by Janey Louise Jones


June 2009, Young Corgi
118 pages
Review copy

Clouds: 5/5
Overall rating: 4/5
Worth re-reading? Yes

Without a doubt it was the front cover which attracted me to this sweet story. I love medieval costumes, and couldn't resist finding out more about Princess Poppy. From the map on the first page which included places like 'Peppermint Pond', I could tell this would be a sweet book. Poppy's friend Honey lives most of the year without her parents. They come to visit the small world nestled in Honey Hill to escape the busy life of LA.

After visiting the castle, Honey and Poppy are intrigued about the tale of Princess Alyssa, especially when there's a suggestion that she left a box full of treasure in the castle. Together with their parents they embark on a hunt for the treasure, aided by an anonymous helper who leaves clues for them.

It's a story about friendship and family: that sometimes families can't always be together but when they meet up they enjoy each other's company. I found two messages in this story: the first is that eavesdropping is rarely beneficial to the listener. Honey was very worried when she heard her father missed the busy life of LA that she puts her heart and soul into making sure he enjoys himself. He does - and never complains again. The second message is how hard work reaps its rewards - by spending extra time pouring over the clues, Poppy was able to solve the smaller mysteries in the story (although I don't recommend staying up past bedtime to most younger readers).

The illustrations are very cute, I could spend a long time looking at them. They are of a style I remember from when I was little (not all that long ago really!).

The reason this receives a 4 and not a 5 is because I don't think Poppy is a real Princess. She lives in a cottage, not a castle. There is no mention of her being a real Princess in the story. I haven't read any of the other books in the series, and feel it's a little misleading to have a title 'Princess Poppy' without indication of royal heritage. I tried searching the other books, but haven't shed light on this matter yet. I picked up the book because I enjoy reading about Princesses, and thought it might shed light on life in a castle. Perhaps she's a princess in spirit - she's certainly kind to her friends, and eager to put her best into everything she does.

Princess Poppy has her own website:

1 comment:

Danyelle L. said...

Awww! This sounds like a fun read!