Wednesday 24 June 2009

The Lost Book of Salem, by Katherine Howe


June 25th 2009, Penguin
468 pages
Fiction (I put it under Fantasy for easy clarification -it's not obviously fantasy)
RC

Cushions: 2
Daggers: 1
Paperclips: 1
Tissues: 2
Overall rating: 4/5
Worth a re-read? Yes

Far back in the late 17th century, Deliverance Dane, through no fault other than the desire to help the afflicted, is accused of witchcraft. In the present day 1990's, Connie, a PHD candidate, takes on the project of clearing out her grandmother's house. In it she finds a reference to Deliverance. Her interest as a scholar peaked, she digs a little deeper, not knowing that such an investigation will lead her to love, tragedy, and a much closer relationship with her mother.

I openly admit this type of book isn't my usual genre - although my 'usual' genre is now widening so fast I can barely keep up with the current genre list. What appealed me to from the brief in the newsletter, was the idea that the two women both race against time to save the one's they love. Keeping loved ones safe is a topic close to my heart, in both my life as a reader/reviewer and a writer. Add women as the protagonists and my attention was held.

I'm glad I went with my instincts on selecting this book to read. I was drawn in by the academic setting - having lived life as a student, smelling dusty tomes in the library, and now working in a university, I eat up anything related to this life. I nearly jumped up and clapped when Connie passed her viva (not a real spoiler because without it she wouldn't have needed research for her next project). I could feel her frustration when she reached dead-ends in searching for more information about Deliverance, and was intrigued about the interest one of the characters' takes in her work.

It was fascinating to learn about the history of the Salem witch trials, which I've never personally investigated. The detail rich life and vivid environment of Deliverance's life(and to some extent Connie's, although at least I was alive in the 1990's) reminded me that people in history are real, just like this. Not a major revelation, but it's something which Katherine wanted to achieve in writing this story (paraphrased from an interview I saw...somewhere.)

There is a level of suspense throughout the book, as hints are given a crumb at a time. Just as I think the story's getting would up, suddenly an event would occur that would have me racing through the next 100 or so pages. I feel this is a different type of suspense and action that I'm used to (action on every page, or at least in virtually every chapter). I can't even say that I was disappointed by this style of pacing - it was a refreshing change, and made the dramatic events have more of an impact, than having them every single chapter.

It's very clean on the romance front - Katherine applies a closed doors approach which works beautifully. The only reason there's a paperclip is due to the examination given to Deliverance during her side of the story - it's a little explicit for my liking. And the details of punishment near the end of the novel had me feeling rather green, which shows how well it's been written.

Referring back to why I picked the novel up, I would re-read, and recommend this novel for the way it brings mothers and daughters together. Deliverance and her daughter share a closeness that Connie and Grace, her mother, lack for most of the novel. It is because of Deliverance that 'things' happen to Connie, which makes her look at her mother in a different light, and feel that maybe she understands her a bit more. It's made me realise that even though we can be of a completely different personality from our mother (or father/sibling/close relative so that no-one is left out), usually, if we dig deep enough, we can find something in common. Even if it's the fact we're human, there is a connection. Given time, and the right circumstances, that connection can grow into something beneficial to both mother and daughter (insert other family members as appropriate).

The cover is beautiful - it's actually from The Royal Collections (c) Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. I like the suggestion of an age worn book on the spine. I had a peek at the American version, and it's quite different! As is the title: The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. On this occasion, I prefer the English verision.

Katherine's website rather cool site (put the speakers on) can be found here

An interview from Katherine, purloined from the Penguin website (not conducted by myself), will appear tomorrow on the launch day.

2 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Looks intriguing! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Nayuleska said...

You're welcome!

The interview was supposed to be up by now...blogger's clock isn't quite right. It'll be up when blogger feels like it.