Friday 29 December 2023

Review: Bubba and Squirt's Shield of Athena by Sherry Ellis (Children's, 9 years +, 10/10E)

 


7th May 2024,  Dancing Lemur Press, 114 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Book summary

When Bubba and Squirt travel through the mysterious vortex on a quest to save their father, they end up in Athens, Greece where they meet an old woman known as the Oracle of Delphi. Her intriguing riddles set them on a path that leads to the Netherworld, a place where danger lurks around every corner.

With the help of their new friends and some unlikely allies, they must defeat the monster that holds their father captive. Will they succeed or be trapped forever in the labyrinth of the Netherworld?

Nayu's thoughts

This is genuinely one of my favourite sibling adventures. It has all the good stuff, friendship, dangerous moments, humour, and magical powers. I love how facts about the ancient world are woven into the duo's adventure. There's an ease with the protagonist that comes of being a few books into the series which is noticable from someone who has read the others. Bubba and Squirt definitely have a bigger picture adventure going on, I like how their family are more involved now, as unbelievable as their powers seem to be they come in handy too. The way they time travel feels natural and is well explained.

All is not plain sailing, but together with the temporary new friends they make they can overcome anything. I really liked the various deceptions that happened in this installment that I hadn't anticipated at all. I hope that readers decide to look further into ancient Greece as it's an amazing era with loads of fantastic myths and pot fragments to fangirl over (that might just be me, give me a fragment of a pot and I'm in heaven but I did my degree in Ancient History so I have more than a passing interest in it all). I like that there's a recipe in the book for a food they ate, makes the story more tangible. The Netherworld is a tricky place sure, they don't leave unscathed but they do succeed eventually.

Find out more on Sherry's website, like why music works it's way into her books as she is a musician. 

Suggested read

Check out the first book in the series, Bubba and Squirt's Big Dig to China by Sherry Ellis (Children's, 9 years +, 10/10E)


 

No comments: