Wednesday 3 November 2021

Pentire: Botanical Non-Alcoholic Spirits

 


People seek non-alcoholic drinks for many reasons, maybe they need to drive, or like me abstain from alcohol for religious reasons and also can't drink alcohol because it does not mix well with medication.  Whatever the reason there is a massive market for alcohol free drinks, and last year Pentire very kindly sent me a bottle of their Pentire Adrift drink, made from North Cornish ingredients including Rock Samphire, Sage, Pentire Plant Blend, Lemon Citrus, and Cornish Sea Salt. Pentire is probably most likened to the alcoholic gin in taste which I have never had, not even before I converted to Islam in my 20s - I was never really into alcohol when I could drink it and preferred alcopops to gin, wine or beer, so I have no way to compare it to gin. Then again comparison is not needed. 

 

I was blown away by how sublime the flavours are. It's so hard to describe what Pentire Adrift tastes like, and I have since drunk the entire 70cl bottle which lasted a while as I would have it mixed with tonic. It is extremely drinkable, and while it could probably be mixed with fruit juice and other flavoured tonics, personally that would be heinous to the superb mix of herbs that create this fragrant and uplifting drink. It deserves to be enjoyed in all its splendour with plain tonic, savouring the both subtle and distinct flavours that are a real treat to the tastebuds - I'm not saying that because I got this for free in exchange for a review, it truly is that great a drink. I have never tasted anything like it, the refreshing and varied flavours seem to dance on my tongue, and while I could try other non-alcoholic spirits, I think because of how much I enjoyed it I will stick to Pentire. 

 


In addition to the original Adrift Pentire having another flavour to their line up Pentire Seaweed which include pink grapefruit which I plan to try in due course as I adore grapefruit. The 70cl bottles (which if you aren't sure how much cl are is about 700mls I think) retail for just under £27, there are 20cl bottles too which will be perfect for trying the drinks. Both Pentire drinks are vegan and of course 100% alcohol free. It is packaged so beautifully too. Be sure to check out the Pentire website.

No comments: