Thursday 17 January 2019

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yeti! by Steven Butler and Steven Lenton (Children's, 7 years +, 9/10E)

October 2018, Simon and Schuster, 240 pages, 7 years +,  Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Simon and Schuster 
Having just saved the hotel from a goblin prince, Frankie Banister and the guests are looking forward to enjoying themselves and celebrating the summer holiday of Trogmanay! But when a snow storm blows in (complete with Yeti family), and a number of mysterious guests arrive, something sinister seems to be taking over the hotel and celebrating is the last thing on anyone’s mind…
 

Nayu's thoughts 
It took me longer than expected to read this because I actually have a limit on how much weird fiction I can read at a time. I know I'm odd, but weird means out of the ordinary, which this book definitely is. Seeing strange monsters and disgusting food ingredients grosses me out out, so this book was initially read in little chunks until I finished it this weekend. I didn't look too closely at the food pictures! The illustrations are well done, just not quite my cup of tea for food ones. 

I truly loved this book aside from the few gross parts. It's the first book I've read of the series, despite it being the second written. I didn't feel that I missed out on any inside jokes or info, although I hope to read book 1 one day because I'm in love with the yetis! I'm guessing they don't have a strange plural spelling, I hope note as I wouldn't want to insult them, not with how they reacted to one mischievous creature.  They seem so friendly, completely oblivious that the  manner in which they travel inconveniences other magical and non magical creatures, which in turned changed the hotel in all aspects. I want to sink my finger into their long fur. The daughter, Zingri, has an adorable hair style and a brilliant aim. 

The nomad gave me the creeps and reminded me of a Zelda character (FYI I don't like Zelda games, apart from Windwaker. They are scary games!) with a mask who I can't recall the name so can't show you a picture. Glad to know my feelings were well merited! Wanted to punch it's lights out for what it did, but the end was extremely satisfactory. I did want to read some of the awful reviews that Frankie's parents' wrote to keep humans away from their hotel, maybe that can be put in the next book? Please? I most definitely want to the Yetis to return and create mayhem! Just not with all the hexes that also came with this story. 

Find out more on Steven Butler's website and Steven Lenton's website

Suggested read

No comments: